-
April 18th, 2004, 06:17 PM
#1
Inactive Member
nee-san is big SISTER. So unless the mangaka just gave him a sex change, somebody's drastically misreading something somewhere...
NII-san is big BROTHER...
>.< sorry, but that is absolutely #1 at the top of my "pissed off about ignorant fangirl abuse of misunderstood Japanese which gets put into everyone's fanfics pointlessly and wrong" triggers... @_@ Fanfiction.net is particularly horrible for that, if you take a random sampling of the word nee-san from Google's site search and don't know the series in question, God only knows whether it was supposed to be a male character or a female character...
^^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; I don't know if it's strung throughout the scanslations or not, I just got as far as the intro and the top of my brain exploded...
back to work now, don't have time to read, but thought I should warn people so that you could put out a corrected version as soon as humanly possible in either case... ^^;;;;;;;;;
-
April 18th, 2004, 06:21 PM
#2
Inactive Member
>.<
I just had to look...
yes, it IS all over the scanslations... oh my God...
please, please, PLEASE, someone go fix NOW...!
auuuuugggghhhhhhh.... now I'm not even going to be able to read it until after some kind of replacement gets posted, because every time I see that I want to scream... please, somebody, fix it SOON??
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ April 18, 2004 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Risu-chan ]</font>
-
April 18th, 2004, 06:28 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Oyo! >_< Somebody in the Guestbook noticed that too! O_O Now everyone's pretty confused, neh Risu chan? ^^;
Hope someone fixes that though........nee-san means big sister and nii-san means big brother...O_O UNDERSTOOD! ^.^ *grins* [img]biggrin.gif[/img] With this post someone will SURELY notice this! XD
-
April 18th, 2004, 11:33 PM
#4
Inactive Member
mwuahhaa, I was as well very put of by that lol but it was kind of funny to read when he called him a girl and the other didn't say anything XD heheh.
random: [me was also chuckkling when she was reading the middle of the chapter in between the boston/canada hockey match and in the manga they started talking about it XD ]
but for the error, well, it's no the end of the world lol it just made it more funny for those you knew, ne?
-
April 19th, 2004, 06:04 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Ah, so it wasn't just my imagination.
I thought I might had a strange file because no one seemed to react when I wrote about that yesterday. But that's just me being stupid - thinking computers can change those stuff because of errors in the downloading progress... ^.^;;
And it's not only all over the scanlations, but all over the read-me file too.
My first hint that it wasn't a gag was that no one at the rink commented that either - such a "macho" sport and there the players go around adressing eachother "older sister".
Sounds a bit wrong, doesn't it? ^.^;;
Well, it had me giggling a bit, but maybe that's just me...
But abuse of Japanese language, couresty of fangirls/fanboys (though not as common) is really annoying, isn't it?
-
April 19th, 2004, 08:04 PM
#6
HB Forum Owner
Okay okay, fixing it.
...
-
April 20th, 2004, 02:54 PM
#7
Inactive Member
::groveling at Crisis' feet::
thank you, thank you, THANK YOU... now I can read it without my blood pressure going through the roof!
I'm kind of on a hopeless tilting-at-windmills one-fangirl quest to TRY to keep people like the fanfic writers who feel compelled to throw in random Japanese at least *approximately* using the right gender even if they have no clue what formality level they're supposed to be using and end up giving unintentional mortal insults...
so far I haven't even succeeded at the gender part, obviously, since there are STILL an appalling number of fic writers out there who have men in series like Fist of the North Star calling each other "neechan"... @_@;;;;;;;;;; not that I've actually read Fist of the North Star fics, just that that's the kind of characters it tends to happen to; for some bizarre reason the people writing about girly-guys like Yukito from CCS never seem to do it as an intentional joke...
anyway, thank you for contributing to fixing up that piece of rampant fan misconceptions!
(Now if I can only somehow convince the fan (particularly fanfic) populace that no it is NOT necessary to write 'yamette' whenever they mean 'stop' -- yameru is generally not the word they'd be using in the context they're giving it in, and even if they'd gotten the right verb, "yamette" is a conjugation that DOESN'T EVEN EXIST as an imperative, it's yameTe, the single vs double makes a SIGNIFICANT structural difference -- when you double the sound the only thing I think you COULD be saying is "'yame' tte" which is someone quoting what someone else said... arrghh...)
//end linguistic rant, going back to rant at firewall documentation some more ^^;;;//
-
April 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Hmmmmm, though that might give a kind of creepy weirdness to it all ;P
-Reikou
-
April 21st, 2004, 09:03 PM
#9
Inactive Member
blame it on a late april fool joke XD
lol, thanks Risu for the language class ^^ ( someday I'll have to have another irc-lessons from you, I liked it.)
Using bad japenese in anime/manga fanfiction bothers me, but not as much as you I guess since I don't know anything of it. What ticks me off is fangirls writting european or american caracters speaking japenese. Harry Potter will not, in any books or for any reason start telling something is "kawai" =____=* nor will Star Gate caracters or anything. But in any way, it's not just japenese that is badly used... french in english fanfic or english in french fanfics are so bad you'd laugh out loud if you weren't so busy crying. Same for most major languages such as spanish, chinese (chinese friends are good to tell you if this exist or not. Poor Pet Shop of Horror fandom.) or other like italian (it is *not* romantic when it's all wrong!).
/random fic peeve
-
April 21st, 2004, 10:10 PM
#10
HB Forum Owner
I'm actually taking Japanese right now in college so I'm kind of embarassed about the mistake. ^^** I was sort of writing it the way it sounded though, like the long "e" sound, but I forgot that in romanji the e is always a light sound. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
And adding on to parts I wince at in the few fanfics I read a few years ago...for some reason, I just don't like seeing Japanese being used in fanfics written in English, period. (Unless it's something like "san, sama, nii-san, etc.) I figure if the fanfic is being set in Japan and the characters are Japanese, then they really don't need to add in random Japanese words since it's assumed that they're speaking Japanese in the fanfic. It seems like random Japanese words are sometimes inserted just to make the author look "cool", like: "Oh look at me, I know Japanese! I can say stuff like "ohayo!" ^__^;; but that's just me.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks